This 596,000 square foot general headquarters facility was designed for the Ontario Provincial Police and the Administration Division of the Ontario Ministry of the Solicitor General. The state-of-the-art building is arranged around a curved two-storey ‘public street’. Three four-storey office blocks, each with a central full height atrium, are accessed from the ‘street’. This generates a sense of accessibility and invitation for the visitor, while maintaining necessary security requirements. The ‘public street’ is anchored by a library and an auditorium at one end and a cafeteria and child care facility at the other. A museum and gift shop are also present. Various support and specialty service areas are located behind the office space at grade, including a large service garage, forensics laboratory and an emergency operations centre. Other on-site facilities include a rifle range complete with arms storage and weapons maintenance area, a F.A.T.S. Law Enforcement video training simulation area, a helicopter hangar and a canine training facility. Site programming on the 60-acre site includes a 450 foot microwave communications tower and a secure yard for parking over 1200 vehicles. This project was published (to view the articles refer to the links below) in both the Canadian Architect (January 1996) and Architectural Record (June 1998). It won the American Institute of Architects Award for Justice Facilities in 1999. More recently, the project has been published in a reference book titled ‘Building Type Basics for Justice Facilities’. This project was completed as a joint venture between W.M. Salter and Associates (our predecessor firm) and Dunlop Farrow Architects.